From:
Re: got backout/cherrypick metadata (for commit log messages)
To:
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2023 22:56:06 +1100

  • Christian Weisgerber:

  • On 23-01-26 04:06PM, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
    > Mark Jamsek:
    >
    > > The below diff implements stsp's brilliant idea using the algorithm he
    > > laid out in the earlier thread (got backout/cherrypick auto commit).
    > > I basically went with his suggestions across the board as far as the
    > > algorithm and special case handling is concerned.
    > -snip-
    >
    > Thanks for the long explanation.  This sounds great!

    It's entirely stsp's idea and I agree. At first I was a little bit
    skeptical but the more I thought about it, and especially the first time
    I tried it, I completely changed my mind :)

    > Minor detail: When the log messages are prepared for the editor,
    > should a git-style "(cherry picked from commit xxxx)" be appended?
    > I guess there's also "This reverts commit xxxx." for backouts (git:
    > reverts).

    We sort of do something like this already. Each appended log message is
    prefixed like so:

      # log message of backed-out commit 1c13ca73139a66fe4c86b16440c0b6774402b41f:
      foo bar

      # log message of cherrypicked commit db6b5b640dec43ef5cc884ee63cf69d5e926c363:
      frobnitz

    Do you think this is sufficient? Or do you suggest we uncomment this or
    add a new uncommented line as per your email?

    --
    Mark Jamsek <fnc.bsdbox.org>
    GPG: F2FF 13DE 6A06 C471 CA80  E6E2 2930 DC66 86EE CF68

  • Christian Weisgerber:

    got backout/cherrypick metadata (for commit log messages)