From:
"Todd C. Miller" <millert@openbsd.org>
Re: vi struggling to save commit messages
To:
Ted Bullock <tbullock@comlore.com>
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Wed, 08 Mar 2023 14:20:03 -0700

  • Ted Bullock:

    vi struggling to save commit messages

  • Todd C. Miller:

  • On Wed, 08 Mar 2023 13:54:24 -0700, Ted Bullock wrote:

    > Here is a sample of the actual numbers, it's not a truncation.
    >
    > sb.st_mtim.tv_sec: 1678308226, sb.st_mtim.tv_nsec: 125222348
    > ep->mtim.tv_sec: 1678308226, ep->mtim.tv_nsec: 55250221

    OK, sb.st_mtim is the current mtime and ep->mtim is the saved mtime.
    So the mtime on the file has increased slightly.

    I'm not sure why that would be, but edit_logmsg() can be called
    while logmsg_path is actually closed.  Closing the fd first and
    _then_ editing the file might avoid the problem.

     - todd

  • Ted Bullock: