From:
Mikhail <mp39590@gmail.com>
Re: tog: vsplit view restored after resize of fullscreen mode
To:
Mark Jamsek <mark@jamsek.com>
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2023 19:45:05 +0300

On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 09:31:36PM +1000, Mark Jamsek wrote:
> On 23-04-21 11:00AM, Stefan Sperling wrote:

> > > It's arguably surprising behaviour but, yes, this is how tog has always
> > > behaved--at least as far back as 0.60--so is expected in that sense.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure if it should be changed as this sort of comports with the
> > > docs (emphasis added):
> > >
> > > F	Toggle fullscreen mode for a split-screen view.  **tog will
> > > 	automatically use vertical split-screen views if the size of the
> > > 	terminal window is sufficiently large.**
> > >
> > > And this is convenient sometimes. For example, when tog is started in
> > > a small 80x24 term which is then increased and if viewing a diff, it
> > > auto-splits with the log view. This is handy imo.
> > >
> > > That said, we could keep that aspect, but when the user explicitly
> > > requests fullscreen mode with F, not split when resized.
> >
> > I would be fine with F overriding this. Pressing F again would then
> > return to automatic mode, either fullscreen or split view depending
> > on the current terminal size. Would that work?
> > The docs could be of course be updated to say something more specific
> > like "Force fullscreen mode. By default, tog will automatically use
> > split-screen views if ..."
>
> Yes, this should be quite straight forward; just record when F is
> toggled and only redraw fullscreen when we get a SIGWINCH. Please let me
> know if the below diff produces the behaviour you describe and if so
> I'll continue with it and update the docs too.

I tested the patch and found a regression:

start tog 219x80 (all sizes are approximation of course)
<enter>
resize tog 127x39
screen becomes mangled (https://people.freebsd.org/~misha/got1.png)