From:
Re: tog: vsplit view restored after resize of fullscreen mode
To:
Mark Jamsek <mark@jamsek.com>
Cc:
Mikhail <mp39590@gmail.com>, gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2023 11:00:12 +0200

On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 01:26:14PM +1000, Mark Jamsek wrote:
> On 23-04-20 09:01PM, Mikhail wrote:
> > Make xterm big enough to be able to show vertical split and do the
> > following in a repo:
> >
> > <enter> (show any commit in vsplit)
> > <resize xterm>
> >
> > vsplit view is restored.
> >
> > Is it expected?
>
> It's arguably surprising behaviour but, yes, this is how tog has always
> behaved--at least as far back as 0.60--so is expected in that sense.
>
> I'm not sure if it should be changed as this sort of comports with the
> docs (emphasis added):
>
> F	Toggle fullscreen mode for a split-screen view.  **tog will
> 	automatically use vertical split-screen views if the size of the
> 	terminal window is sufficiently large.**
>
> And this is convenient sometimes. For example, when tog is started in
> a small 80x24 term which is then increased and if viewing a diff, it
> auto-splits with the log view. This is handy imo.
>
> That said, we could keep that aspect, but when the user explicitly
> requests fullscreen mode with F, not split when resized.

I would be fine with F overriding this. Pressing F again would then
return to automatic mode, either fullscreen or split view depending
on the current terminal size. Would that work?
The docs could be of course be updated to say something more specific
like "Force fullscreen mode. By default, tog will automatically use
split-screen views if ..."