From:
Re: Cleanup hardcoded got naming in got.1
To:
Omar Polo <op@omarpolo.com>
Cc:
Josh Rickmar <jrick@zettaport.com>, gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2023 15:02:36 +0200

  • Omar Polo:

    Cleanup hardcoded got naming in got.1

    • Stefan Sperling:

  • On Sat, Jul 08, 2023 at 02:48:50PM +0200, Omar Polo wrote:
    > On 2023/07/08 07:37:12 -0400, Josh Rickmar <jrick@zettaport.com> wrote:
    > > On Sat, Jul 08, 2023 at 07:30:47AM -0400, Josh Rickmar wrote:
    > > > To make cvg diffs less ugly...
    > >
    > > Sorry, find/replaced in the wrong order when started editing the
    > > original got.1 file.
    >
    > regardless of the discussion about cvg / got scope and whatnot, since
    > you wrote the diff +1 for me to get this on.  I've used a similar
    > pattern in some circumstances.  IMHO ".Cm got foo" to indicate the
    > "foo" subcommand is misleading since only "foo" would be a "command
    > modifier".

    This is subjective of course, but I don't agree that this approach
    works well in all cases. Where it doesn't work it relies too much
    on markup to convey meaning. And that seems like a bad idea to me.
    Sentences in our documentation should make sense without any markup.

    Consider someone fresh to the software, reading this text without
    seeing any markup:

    "Without the -m option, import opens a temporary file ..."

    Which sounds strange because "import" is a verb, not a noun.
    Without context this sounds like the author of the docs made an error.

    We are already stretching the English language by using "got" as a
    proper noun which can likewise result in horrible sentences. But at
    least readers will be able to anticipate "got" being used as a noun,
    given the name of the page they are reading.

  • Omar Polo:

    Cleanup hardcoded got naming in got.1