From:
Mikhail <mp39590@gmail.com>
Re: u/ctrl-u/d/ctrl-d bindings for scrolling in tog
To:
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2022 20:37:29 +0300

  • Mikhail:

  • On Sun, Jun 12, 2022 at 03:40:41PM +0200, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
    > Stefan Sperling:
    >
    > > In my opinion it would make sense to match less(1) behaviour and implement
    > > half-page scroll for ^D and ^U. Or only offer the full-page scroll bindings
    > > used by less(1), i.e. delete our ^D and ^U keybindings again.
    >
    > The fundamental difference is that with a numeric prefix ^F/^B
    > scroll by screens, and ^D/^U scroll by lines.  It's only if there
    > is no numeric prefix that ^D/^U default to scrolling by half a
    > screen.  tog(1) does not support numeric prefixes.
    >
    > I also think it's questionable to use 'd' and 'u' as synonyms for
    > ^D and ^U.  This is limited to less(1) and not present in vi(1),
    > and we may want to reserve these keys for future functionality.

    In my opinion less-like keybindings for scrolling (I'm talking about
    'u/d' here, as Ctrl-u/Ctrl-d patch has been accepted) can be useful at
    least for log and diff views, because their use most closely relate
    to a 'pager' (not an editor, as vi) - basically it requires a lot of
    scrolling, and probably we need to be close to 'less' as possible there,
    to not make users re-learn their habits.

    Also I assume those views are mostly used ones.

    Do you (or anyone, of course) have thoughts on possible future 'u/d'
    usage in log/diff views?

  • Mikhail:

    u/ctrl-u/d/ctrl-d bindings for scrolling in tog