From:
Re: [rfc] compound keymaps with prefixed count modifier like vi(1)
To:
Omar Polo <op@omarpolo.com>
Cc:
Mark Jamsek <mark@jamsek.com>, gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2022 16:18:28 +0200

  • Omar Polo:

  • On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 04:08:25PM +0200, Omar Polo wrote:
    > I was a bit surprised by how it's implemented to be honest.  I would
    > have expected something like how the "/" works: showing the number as
    > it's typed in the last line of the window.  This would allow to have
    > backspace (and any other key we want) available without issues.

    Currently tog does not echo commands as they're being typed.
    This is unlike less, which implicitly opens a : prompt at the bottom.

    tog could probably display the (partial) count at the bottom of the screen
    while the number is being read, in highlighted text like the search feature
    displays its prompt. Would this be more intuitive?

    > If I can suggest something here, I'd go with with C-g.  I'm biased
    > because Emacs uses it to interrupt various kinds of things, but less(1)
    > uses it too.  ESC maybe would be familiar for vi users?

    I tried to get the Esc key working before I settled on Backspace.
    As far as I recall, using Esc as a one-shot key in isolation is not easy
    with ncurses, if it is even possible at all.

  • Omar Polo:

    [rfc] compound keymaps with prefixed count modifier like vi(1)